Created by MyFitnessPal - Free Calorie Counter

Saturday, July 6, 2013

the malaise of sobriety

Another week down and I feel confident I've lost some lbs, but I just feel blah.  I made it through an entire 4th of July without drinking or overeating which is cool, but 100 lbs didn't exactly abandon ship overnight so now I'm just here...still very chunky, still uncomfortable, and because I'm not drinking away my four day weekend I'm acutely aware of it all.

I don't have the full-on 'Fuckits', though- I'm currently wearing sneakers and I'm blogging instead of getting back into bed. If all goes well I will exercise, shower, and then get to the grocery store before 5pm. Dream Big, I know.

By taking a break from drinking I'm forcing myself to deal with me 24/7 and I've found that it's not super fun. There are plenty of things to do with your days off, especially when you're not hungover, but I'm not doing them. I'm re-reading tweets, playing candy crush, watching TV, and digesting mediocre books on the Kindle.

Lurking around other blogs this morning I'm seeing that for the Very Successful Ones, typically exercise is front and center. You know the type: Before hitting the farmer's market, chopping veggies for tonight's intricate dinner, putting together the twins' bunk beds from Ikea, reviewing Vibram water runners for pay, and posting 78 pictures of my symposium at FitBloggin', I ran 9 miles at dawn (only 9 because it was my rest day!).

Kidding, kind of. There are some exceptions, of course, and I agree with the school of thought that says food intake is 80-90% of weight loss and when you're really reducing your calories excessive cardio actually makes you hungrier- BUT meanwhile there are a good amount of success stories out there who seem to run and/or do pylometrics on the regular. For me a workout is something that helps me feel accomplished and strong; it's not something I do 'to lose weight'.

I have to figure out my own thing,though. I'm not yet ready for full-on running or cross-fitting, but I am ready to get to the place where I'm more 'me'. For the last few days, instead of drinking and eating to excess, I've been lying around, reading, and napping. Hardly the start of a self-revolution.

The bottom line here is that I'm the one in charge of becoming the weekend hiker/ the spontaneous trip goer/the zumba class attendee/the buyer of expensive lingerie/the crafty home improver/the daughter who calls more/the friend who visits more/the regular hair appointment maker/the finisher of screenplays/the confident story teller/the attractive woman, wife, and someday mother I've always imagined myself to be. I'm also in charge of doing some of those things now, at my current downward-trending weight, and feeling okay with that.

Off to the gym.

5 comments:

  1. I've been suffering from the blahs myself lately. I, too, have been napping and devouring books. Exercise definitely improves my attitude, and I'm always glad when I do it. You're right though, anything productive makes me feel good...whether it's doing a craft, taking care of an errand, cleaning a closet or drawer, etc. Yes, we're in charge of what we do...might as well do what we want and what will make us feel good, no matter what our weight is now!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like you are on the right path :). What about trying a different class once a week at your gym to see what you love?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think I read a few of the blogs you mention. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. "Before hitting the farmer's market, chopping veggies for tonight's intricate dinner, putting together the twins' bunk beds from Ikea, reviewing Vibram water runners for pay, and posting 78 pictures of my symposium at FitBloggin', I ran 9 miles at dawn (only 9 because it was my rest day!)."

    BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. dealing with the me is sometimes a pain ... kinda freaked me out reading this post ... I see a lot of what was going on with me in you

    ReplyDelete