Still want to wait until May 1 to weigh in. I just don't want to see the scale show anything near 350 again...I will be in the 200s this summer; I will and I must and I'm not stopping. Meanwhile, because I didn't log my Friday food until after midnight last night, myfitnesspal took away my streak of days logged which is mildly annoying. 500 days for me could certainly be independent of mfp tracking, but I would like it to sync up. Whatever, myfitness 'pal'.
So oh yeah MORE IMPORTANTLY I am quite full on my very first mug cake. You probably all know craig of ruled.me- he's an ambitious fucker and clearly a great cook and I've been a fan and supporter of his keto blog for a long time. Craig is not the only blogger making mug cakes, but he's done like 20 varieties so I decided to try his original 2013 keto chocolate cake, this morning.
Before I describe the loss of my mug cake virginity, full disclosure- I'm hung over. Adam and I had a low carb supper at my brother's place last night and then went to a local dive bar where the drinks are strong and the crowd is surly. I had red wine with dinner and one too many jack and diets later... and my head hurts. I had some coffee with hwc, took three advil, and I really wanted to take down a box of donuts, a coffee cake, or at least some damn toast this morning. Luckily, we don't have the shit in the house so I went looking up low carb breakfast treats. There's a lot out there, but most were too complex for me today.
The mug cake concept is self-explanatory, but just in case you've never seen a recipe, you mix melted butter, an egg, low carby flours (almond and coconut in the one today), and some kind of 'flavoring' in a mug and throw it in the microwave for 75 seconds and you have, well, a cake. You can scarf it right from the mug or turn it out on a plate. I've seen these for years and just never tried it.
Welp, guess what? It's pretty impressive. Feast your eyes!
It looks like actual cake, right? It is definitely much more dense than a cake, and even with special erithrytol and good cocoa powder, etc is also doesn't have that true, sweet chocolate cake taste. It does satisfy, though, and I'm not only NOT thinking about donuts anymore, I'm super legit full and there's still a hunk of the cake leftover. I may finish the rest on my own, but I would suggest splitting the recipe into two servings (or even more) if you're making one of the mug cakes as a 'dessert'. Mine was brunch so I'm fine eating the whole thing.
Anyway, I'm going to actually catch up on YOUR blogs now- if anyone happens to be reading this and would like to share your blog please comment and I'll add you to my sidebar. The lull of resolutions-gone-sour in March is over, people. Let's get back to it!


Hey here beautiful girl. Love your resolve and your never give up attitude. Always cheering you on:-) xx
ReplyDeleteI'm intrigued by the mug cake... I've never used almond or coconut flour. If they have it at Target, I'll probably try it. If I have to make a special trip somewhere, I probably won't. I'm incredibly lazy that way. I know what you mean about forgetting the MFP... pisses me off SO much when I just forget. I'm still up a few pounds and not happy about it.
ReplyDeleteAre you old enough to remember power rangers? Enhanced Keto Mode, Activate!
Wait a minute, what am I thinking?? I can order that stuff on Amazon without getting off my ass!! Sometimes I annoy myself.
ReplyDeletewelcome back :)
ReplyDelete