Created by MyFitnessPal - Free Calorie Counter

Saturday, February 23, 2013

Auntie Lynn was probably right.

I'm a pretty big fan of Weight Watchers because it works. I also hear that people have lost a few ounces thanks to calorie counting, portion control, low carb, shakes, Medifast, hiring Bob Greene to live with you, etc. So many ways to lose it. Right now my dad is using fitness pal to track calories and he's eating 2000 calories a day but is fitting in a bottle of red wine almost every night and he is down 19.4 over the past four weeks. I am jealous, and I'm also tired of not having my own breakthrough; I'm just jerking around with these same 20 lbs or so and the fact that at my weight those twenty are essentially meaningless is not lost on me. At my weight the 23 lbs I lost in the late fall made a modest dent- it was enough for my husband and close friends to notice but it was nowhere near a before and after type situation. I desperately need to be my own before and after situation.

I am beginning to believe that 'self-control' and tracking will not be enough to get me to a healthy weight by the time I'm 40. Again, I know it works but I haven't been working it. Therefore, I am ready to take a break from the foods I think about too much, eat even when I'm not at all hungry, and sometimes even binge on. This morning I had eggs and cottage cheese for breakfast and then read the book Wheat Belly on my kindle. Wheat Belly is basically like a paleo diet or an Atkinsy food plan. It is pretty much the exact diet my aunt Lynn tried to get me to adopt 14 years ago when I first moved to California but I was determined to stick with plans that include more foods I like. Well now that I'm older and still fat, I decided to just give in. Lunch was a weaksauce can of tuna so I went to the store to get veggies, raw almonds, delicious cheese, and lots of protein. Dinner was chicken breast over spinach salad with egg and blue cheese, and snacks were almonds, cheese, tomato slices, and avocado.

What I liked about today was that I didn't have to track or count but I know it was a 'weight loss day'. I also liked that everything I ate was tasty and filling. Today was the first time in a very long time I had no sugar, flour, oats, corn, wheat, or high fructose anything. I even skipped diet soda, sugar free creamer, coffee, and dark chocolate. As a result, I'm kind of fuzzy and headachy and may possibly be dealing with carb or sugar withdrawal. However, I also feel okay with that, and I am ready to do this again tomorrow.

3 comments:

  1. I think that taking a break from "obsessing" over food is a must and focusing on eating good foods that you love is a good place to start. I always like to calorie count, but sometimes it's nice to take a break and eat a nice big nutritious meal that you love. You have achieved an incredible loss, that's not meaningless even if it was awhile ago.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I nominated you for a Liebster Award. Its for new or newish bloggers with under 200 followers. You can get more details on my latest post. http://dietingtobeaskinnybitch.blogspot.com/2013/02/the-liebster-award.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for the comment! It made me laugh...and how did you guess that I am a tough/glamorous female cop? LOL:) Aunt Lynn may be onto something. I lost my weight following a Paleoish style diet and always ate until I was full. I know everyone's different, but it worked for me! Once the carb/sugar withdrawal is over, I promise you'll feel like a million bucks! Good luck tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete