Day 40 on low carb/high fat/keto/modified atkins/paleo with cheese/whatever you want to call it. I broke my stall and lost two diced organic tomato cans full of fat. See photo:
That lump is a pound of fat, and I lost two. Hooray. (sigh).
Here's what's been happening:
I am still fully on board with this eating plan. I don't eat simple carbs. The few I take in come from incidental carbohydrates in things like cheese, spinach, avocados, lettuce, half-and-half, and almond butter. The first 10 days I lost 6 lbs, the second 10 I lost 3, then ZERO, and now this morning as of day 40 I lost another 2 lbs. Should I be pleased that I'm down 11 pounds in forty days? Should I be happy that I am reducing without hunger, discomfort, and only occasional exercise? I feel like yes, I should be. Instead I'm annoyed because it's starting to sink in that NOTHING IS EASY, ESPECIALLY LOSING WEIGHT.
Is keto/low carb a godsend for those of us with insulin resistance and carb addiction? Well, fuck yes it is. I know it is for me. My drives to work in the morning are very different. I no longer want to stop at the Bristol Farms on my way to work and buy a 900-calorie cinnamon roll, eat it in the car, and then realize I've started a chain reaction of all-day eating. After a 'breakfast pastry' I'm hungry for lunch like three hours later, and then when a 1000 calorie takeout lunch is not enough I eat a twix bar and cookies from the work kitchen two hours after that, and then drive home cranky and HUNGRY because I've been eating carbs all day and I can't...stop. That feeling, the whole awful shameful shitty habit and compulsion of overeating- it sucks. I haven't binged or felt ashamed of how much food I've eaten in 40 days. For that I'm grateful.
So what has to be refined? I do have to watch my intake. I'm eating too many calories. The 'nothing is easy' comes from the gobsmacked realization that-despite the testimonials of regular sized people from Internetlandia who claim you don't have to watch portions or count calories on low carb diets-it's pretty easy to take down 2500-3000 calories in a day of lowcarb eating. Because I'm 37 and sedentary like you read about, I can't lose weight like that. I need to add in some movement and I need to shoot for 1800-1900 calories a day. The other thing which I've been dragging my feet (mentally) on is considering limiting dairy to cream in my morning coffee. I am going to try calories and exercise first because I want to keep my close personal relationship with CHEESE alive and well. But I swear to Xenu losing 150 lbs is more important to me than any food and I will do what it takes.
Hope you all do what it takes this week!


Yippee for losing 2 pounds!! 11 pounds in 40 days is great!! You should be proud of yourself. Oh the chain reaction of eating food all day. I know for myself if I eat cereal or oatmeal in the morning I will eat all day long but if I have an egg white sandwich I feel full and satisfied. It's odd how are body works and you are right losing weight is not easy but I think it's worth it :) Congrats again on your weight loss.
ReplyDeleteI understand the 'underwhelmed' feeling. We tell ourselves we should be satisfied with our loss, but deep down we were hoping for a dramatic 5lb drop! I get it. I agree that you might try cutting your calories, but maybe not so drastically. Maybe you should shoot for 2000 and see how that works. Feeling really deprived only encourages me to binge. You're right, though. It's not easy, even if we eat all the fat we want. Keep going, and I'll do the same!
ReplyDelete