So Saturday and most of today (Sunday) were spent about 2.5 hrs north of SoCal in lovely Solvang, Los Olivos, and the general vicinity. I refer to it as 'local wine country' but the proper description is probably the Santa Ynez Valley. Anyway, I've had this trip planned for awhile and I decided I would weigh myself Saturday early before we took off- Saturday AM was technically day #79 rather than day 80 but I wasn't about to pack a scale. It's best I didn't since I had a low carb but very high calorie day on Saturday and thoroughly enjoyed every bite.
But meanwhile back to the weigh-in, right? ON SATURDAY MORNING I WAS DOWN 6 LBS AND I'VE NOW HIT 25 LBS SINCE JANUARY 2nd!! (*fanfare; modest tears*)
So let's discuss what led up to the 6 lb drop in just 9 days. On one hand I was 'due' since over the previous 20 days/two weigh-ins I had had a zero lb and a two lb loss, but I also got pretty serious with some daytime fasting using BPC (Bullet Proof Coffee) last week. Monday-Thursday I started my mornings with coffee plus coconut oil and either heavy cream or butter (or a combo of all three; if you do butter use an immersion blender). After that, I ate no food until supper (roughly 11 hrs 'fasting'). By dinner time, I could taste the ketones in my mouth and I was ready to eat to my low carb heart's content.
It sounds crazy, but by the end of the week it felt normal to skip lunch. On Friday I woke up wanting actual food instead of creamy coffee so I had three slices of bacon and two slices of cheese in lieu of the fat coffee. Switching over to food on Friday didn't mess with my five day streak of daytime fasting, but I really like the convenience of just coffee and one meal daily. Of course the Bulletproof Coffee thing was something I'd read about but I didn't actually think I'd be content with 'just coffee' til dinner. I used unsalted kerrygold and it's surprisingly delicious to drink butter in your coffee, but a few days I didn't feel like doing butter so I stuck to just coconut oil and heavy cream. And yes, I did use a packet of splenda in each cup.
Craig from ruled.me has a great recipe and explanation of why using this type of eating technique is good for you. His version of BPC is pretty rich, so I cut the coconut oil and butter down to 1 TB instead of 2 so my calories are a bit lower. Generally my version of comes in between 250 and 400 calories and I magically don't need to eat until dinner. Instead of taking in three meals, a snack, and averaging around 2100 calories daily, I was able to stay at 1600-1800. That is a big deal for me, and I think this is going to be a new part of my routine.
If you're curious about trying it, I would advise you to wait until you've successfully been low-carbing for at least 4-6 weeks- I really don't think I could have stuck with it in my first few months. During the day, drinking a ton of water helps keep you satisfied and gets your stomach through the first two days as you adjust. Finally, eat a big dinner, even eat a keto dessert or snack afterward- you deserve it and you need it. Don't use the daily fast as an excuse to drop your calories so much that you're undereating. Some of my dinners this past week were the biggest ones I've had since I've been on this plan and it was nice to be able really eat without thinking that I was going to have a 'high calorie day'.
So that's my news- -6 lbs, -25 since Jan 2, and a grand total of 33 lbs down from my highest weight Sept 2012. I feel good. If you have any questions about the BPC thing, let me know.

Awesome job Sara. Congratulations:) Go you!!!!!
ReplyDeleteCongrats on your loss! Keep up the great work :)
ReplyDelete25 pounds!! ������������������ so happy for you :). Your inspiring me to get back on track!
ReplyDeleteCongratulations!! You are kicking ass!! I often feel like I don't need to eat lunch, too. I do eat a large breakfast, though. I think I will try the butter in my coffee. That sounds yummy! I've had a rough week, so I will ride your coattails of success and try to get back on track.
ReplyDelete