Unfortunately there is no official judging committee to which I can submit my accomplishments, so I have reward myself by crowing about it here.
First, because recipes- I made the famous Oopsie Rolls and they came out really good! Lumpy and golden and bread-y and they held together a nice egg, cheese, and bacon breakfast sandwich and survived being CUT IN HALF like a normal roll or a piece of toast. I've known about the rolls for a long time but I was scared that I wouldn't be able to make them work; they'd flatten/leak or crumble/fall apart or be a 'huge mess' like they were for many of the low-carbing interwebs people out there. I also don't have any cream of tartar and never remember to buy it because, yeah, cream of tartar AND I tend to avoid the baking aisle for obvious reasons. Well, friends, my oopsie rolls came out lovely without the cream of tartar (may I never again write cream of tartar so many times in one paragraph) and here's the proof:
PRE-OVEN:
AND POST-OVEN:
In case you don't like clicking links or googling like a grown up, here's how real quick: Preheat oven to 300F, take two bowls out. Get 3 eggs and 3 oz cream cheese out of the damn fridge (almost half a bar of regular philly). Separate whites from yolk into your two bowls; be careful not to get any yolky stuff in the whites bowl. Take out your electric hand mixer/beater thing and GO TO TOWN on the whites first; stand there for many minutes making loud noises as the whites turn into a big lofty mountain. When you take out the beaters, the whites should make 'peaks' and be like a mousse or very thick whipped cream. THEN, move over to your yolks and cream cheese and blend that. I also added a pack of splenda and a small pinch of salt during the yolk mixing. Again, no C of T. Now use a spatula and 'fold' the yellow goop into the snowy whites; just incorporate-don't use the mixer again; just very lightly, in an egg-white-supporting way, fold until you have puffy light yellow undulating mass. Now grease a cookie sheet and BLOP BLOP BLOP BLOP! Bake them up for 30 min. Each piece has maybe 1-2 carbs.
Many recipes say to do 6 rolls but I ended up with 4 big 'uns and we were very happy.
Meanwhile, I'm trucking along and I've been in ketosis for over two weeks straight which is a first. I still feel very satisfied, rarely hungry, and only occasionally 'snacky' at night which I attribute more to habit and/or boredom. My next weigh-in is this coming Wednesday and I am really hoping for 5+ more lbs and I'm motivated to stay the course. Eggs/bacon for breakfast, take out salad for lunch while at work, and then for dinner usually a low carb casserole or quiche- Linda's old school recipe site is the best- or I make basics like chicken, beef, or fish with stir-fried veggies. At night, the new Keurig I got Adam for Christmas has been a sanity-saver; especially with the not drinking. Decaf tea or coffee with splenda and cream is such a nice evening treat. I stocked up on like 7 different types of k-cups and it's totally worth it. I haven't totally abandoned eating at night; I've done the natural almond butter/whipped cream cheese little ramekin of 'cheesecake' a couple times but dinner plus a coffee is typically enough.
So for fun and to keep me motivated, I'm constantly planning out my second-half-of-2014 excursions and picturing that feeling of being 50,60, 75 lbs less than I was on January 2nd. Disneyland in May and my feet will hurt less and I will fit on the rollercoaster! Swimming in the lake and sitting outside in July with less sweat and chafing! A summer trip to Vegas when I will fit into the courtesy robe! The seriously 20-odd pieces of tags-on, never-worn clothes in my closet will finally be used!! I will have ankles and a neck again! My face will be mostly eyes and nose and mouth and chin rather than all CHEEK! I will feel good and proud and comfortable and enthusiastic. Life will not be perfect, but I know from experience that it will be better at a lower and healthier weight. I'm maybe 1% there but I can feel the momentum building which keeps me on track.
Reading blogs and even Pinterest also helps so thanks for posting your stuff. I don't comment enough but I read a lot. Have a good weekend!!



OH my gosh! Double high-fives! You are kicking ass, girl! I am SO impressed with your ketosis! I don't think I've ever gotten there. I had a ketosis meter and was all into it, and then I realized the meter didn't work. I should revisit that...You've inspired me.
ReplyDeleteOkay, now onto the oopsie rolls. I have been SO curious about those. I, too, was convinced they wouldn't turn out and would taste like shit. I'm SO going to make them now. Maybe RIGHT now, because my craving for carbs and sugar has been vicious.
I totally agree about the Keurig. It saves me in the afternoon when I feel snacky, and having coffee with heavy cream feels so indulgent. I love that 'umami' mouth feel!
I am very proud of your success, but I'm also jealous. Yesterday I ate four mini-bags of cookies, two servings of chocolate ice cream, and a tortilla. Ugh. I'm back on track today, but I feel like I did a lot of blood-sugar damage.
Congratulations on your momentum! You rock!
Okay, I just realized I wrote 'SO' in all caps three times in that comment. Sorry, I might be feeling a little manic ;)
ReplyDeleteThis comment has been removed by the author.
DeleteYou're hilarious; I SO love the all caps! Thanks for the congrats- every positive word helps and its gonna be a long time til I can slack. Meanwhile there are recipes out there for Oopsie Cinnamon Rolls so no need for cookies or real pastries ever again, right? (ha) I hope yours turn out wonderful and that they get you back on your plan.
DeleteKick'in ass at the ketosis!!!! You go girl! And I love your motivational and positive thinking. I know you'll do great at your Wednesday weigh-in. Onward:)
ReplyDelete