This was one my least favorite weeks I've had at work in a long time. Last night I really, really wanted to give up on my 2 month break from wine/alcohol/merriment (just kidding). Instead, I made us low carb pizzas and drank a coke zero I stole from the work fridge. The 'crusts' were made from two 6-oz bags of that diced pre-cooked chicken you can buy in the meat or deli dept; plus about 2/3 of a bag of shredded italian mix cheese. The one on the left is your traditional pepperoni and the one on the right involved homemade pesto, sliced tomato, and burrata. To get the crust recipe, go here. To make pesto, throw a few handfuls of basil leaves, 1/2 c olive oil, 1/2 c pinenuts, 1/2 c parmesan, 3 cloves of garlic, and a squeeze of lemon juice in a food processor. Was doing all that from scratch worth it on a Friday evening? Yes, yes it was. Adam and I finished both pizzas and felt almost too full by the time we were done. There was no late-night snacking or post-pizza need for 'dessert'. I looked over at the calendar and decided that I could go another day without wine or booze.
In my heyday of single-gal-early-2000s binge eating/carb addiction, I would order a Domino's pizza along with an order of cinnamon bread sticks and eat all of it by myself. After maybe an hour break from eating, I could very easily kill a pint or more of ice cream and then snack all night on things like cereal, fiberone bars, wheat thins, graham crackers, or whatever was in the cabinet. I know that I have the capability to eat and eat carbs and sugar until I am quite literally full up to my esophagus and still...not...stop. I don't like to think about the fact that I can eat so much, but I think it is important to remember how I can get on a standard diet so that I don't ever go back to it.
In the meantime, I'm trying to enlist Adam into a 'Dry February'. Since today's the 25th of Jan, I'm sure I can get through the first one here on my own, but another month is going to be tough. He's given me a tentative yes, and we both talked again today about hitting some serious weight-loss milestones by July. If you're also having a white-knuckle week, I recommend making yourself a chicken/cheese crust pizza and then spending some time looking at reddit's keto forums. We can do this.


Hmm. I am intrigued by your chicken-crust pizza. You are doing such a good job in researching keto recipes and trying them out. I am sort of stuck in a rut as far as my food choices go. I should be inspired and branch out!
ReplyDeleteOne question: to get to ketosis, are your fat/protein percentages around 80/20, or are you closer to 70/30. I am having a hard time getting my fat up to 80. What do you think?
I did yesterday's food on MFP and I was 6% carbs 23% protein 71% fat. I had 35 carb grams but 15 fiber grams so 20 net which works for me. Now I'm also eating 2000 to 2200 calories because I am a big lady :) As I shrink into a delicate flower like you, Kaki, I will have to rein it in. HA.
DeleteThis comment has been removed by the author.
DeletePS-you are tre cool for going on Reddit. My son thinks it is only for teenagers :)
ReplyDeletethose pizzas look soooo goooood
ReplyDelete