Created by MyFitnessPal - Free Calorie Counter

Thursday, November 8, 2012

6 weeks = Habit?

So I read somewhere that if you do something consistently for six weeks, it  becomes habit and then you're more likely to stick with it long term. Meanwhile, 36 years vs 6 weeks is not exactly a fair battle- but I'm in charge, fat cells!

I'm currently 5 weeks and 5 days into full-on Weight Watchers and ActiveLink tracking and I'm hopping on this morning for a 'serious' post because these next two days are important to me. In the short-term I am pushing for a loss of 48 ounces or more this week; I want to hit -20 lbs. The way I eat and move in the next two days will matter. More importantly, though, I'm excited to be able to say I've been doing this for six solid weeks. I've had some very high point/high calorie days, I've eaten some things I said I wouldn't, and I've had some lazy days. However I've also worked hard enough to have a total loss of 17 after five weeks and I didn't stop.  I'm looking forward to finishing the allegedly habit-forming six weeks and moving onto, well, forever.

The whole process of weight loss is a fucking SLOG- it is boring, it is difficult, it feels like a lot of work for marginal reward (ie work out five times, follow a 'diet', lose half a pound). But there is no alternative if you want to change.
 
Just do it is a great slogan; and it makes sense, perhaps, for casual joggers and people with visible ankle tendons. For those of us with life-long struggles with food, for those of us who rock wide-width sneakers and for those of us who know the differences between 'old' weight watchers, the points system, and the 'new' Points Plus RebootX5000, I think a more appropriate slogan may be Just Don't Stop. Have great clean eating days, have bingey days. Workout hard and burn off 7 activity points on Monday, lay around and burn zero on Saturday- just keep tracking, keep going to meetings, keep getting on the stupid scale. Just Don't Stop. You're on the train and it will take you there if you...yeah.


1 comment:

  1. I am new to your blog and I love this post!! It's true we just can't stop.... Congrats on your 20 pound weightloss very exciting :)

    ReplyDelete